View All Section Pages
Our motto, Cooper Cares, extends to our environment. We are making strides every day to help our community become healthier.
In fact, Cooper Aerobics Center's 30-acre campus was officially designated as an Energy Star partner in 2011 by the Environmental Protection Agency. Cooper's 16 percent energy savings (higher than the 10 percent benchmark) is the equivalent of removing 227 cars off the street or planting 32,371 pine trees in our community. Read the full news release.
Part of the campus-wide "green" efforts, including employee's actions, include:
- A dedicated energy conservationist manages Cooper's ongoing, proactive energy conservation efforts.
- A Single Stream Recycling Program has been implemented. Containers marked with appropriate signs—one for trash and one for all recycling products—are all over campus available for associates and customers to use.
- Shutting down computers, speakers, copiers and fax machines at the end of the business day. Exceptions are made for machines that need to remain on to receive faxes after business hours.
- Turning off monitors, adding machines and other office equipment when out of the office for meetings or other extended periods and at the end of the business day.
- Turning off lights in unoccupied areas and using natural lighting when and where appropriate.
- In the cooling season, not setting the temperature in occupied areas below 72°F. Unoccupied temperature settings are set at 82°F.
- In the heating season, not setting the temperature in occupied areas above 68°F. Unoccupied temperature settings are set at 60°F.
- Use of electronic communications, scanning and double-sided copies.
Cooper Fitness Center – Dallas participates by:
- Enacting the Single Stream Recycling Program
- Using Petra amenity products in locker rooms:
- Petra products eliminate the constant disposal of packaging. Petra packaging is made from 85% recycled materials.
- Petra products are formulated with cosmetic grade ingredients.
- Petra Products have been clinically tested in the medical field to assure their compatibility with all skin types. From very dry to very oily, all skin types will show positive results with regular usage.
- All products are hypoallergenic, PH skin/hair balanced, biodegradable and phosphate free. All body washes and shampoos contain no Sodium Chloride.
- Using environmentally-friendly laundry products:
- It doesn't contain any phosphates, Nonylphenol Ethoxylates or chlorine.
- It has a neutral pH and it biodegrades readily to compounds with low toxicity.
- It contains no chlorine or caustic chemicals.
- The capsule form reduces solid waste generation to lessen the impact on the landfills.
- EPA registered.
- Installing Duro-Last® Cool Zone™ roofing that uses a highly-reflective white membrane that saves energy and reduces heat.
Cooper Hotel participates by:
- Outfitting each guest room with:
- Energy efficient light bulbs.
- Programmable thermostats for temperature control.
- Motion detection lighting in storage areas.
- Water efficient fixtures (shower heads and low flow toilets).
- Low or no Volatile Organic Compound paint.
- Thermal windows to reduce heat.
- A volunteer guest linen reuse program for towels and linens.
- Used amenities (soap, bottles, etc.) donated to charitable organizations.
- Equipping meeting rooms with the Single Stream Recycling Program.
- Reducing waste in the kitchen by recycling grease, aluminum, cardboard, and plastic, as well as using non-disposable serving pieces such as glass and china.
- Achieving Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification for landscaping.
- Using organic-based weed killer, pesticides, and fertilizer.
- Use of reusable canvas bags for picking up leaves and grass. Yard trimmings are then recycled into compost.
- Ensuring housekeeping uses environmentally friendly cleaning products
- Using plants that require little water or maintenance
- Installing high-efficiency heating and cooling systems, maintaining strict schedules for heating, cooling, and appliances, and using eco-friendly Freon.
- Using energy efficient light bulbs in hallways, lobbies, and bathroom lighting fixtures.