Skin Care for Glowing Skin
View All Section Pages
From acne breakouts and dry skin to heat rash and sunburns, the sun can do some damage to your skin anytime of year, not just during the long days of summer. Learn steps from our experts to prevent harmful rays from wreaking havoc on your skin.
Getting in the Groove
Cooper Clinic Dermatology’s Kejal Shah, MD, FAAD, divulges that her morning skin care regimen includes three simple steps.
Morning Skin Care Routine
1. Cleanser + topical antioxidant
Dr. Shah starts with using a gentle cleanser followed by applying a topical antioxidant for protection against the sun and pollution. She suggests ISDIN Flavo-C Ultraglican, which contains hyaluronic acid that improves skin moisturization. If you struggle with redness, Dr. Shah recommends the Alto Defense Serum by skinbetter science®. Containing 19 antioxidants along with ceramides and hyaluronic acid, this product helps maintain a healthy skin barrier and works to even skin tone by reducing redness.
Dr. Shah then applies a small amount of Restorative Skin Complex with TriHex Technology® by ALASTIN Skincare®. This moisturizer includes growth peptides that support the skin’s natural ability to produce new, heathy elastin and collagen, helping diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and maintaining vibrant, youthful skin.
The final and most important step in Dr. Shah’s morning skin care routine is applying sunscreen daily. “I do not leave my house without applying sunscreen with zinc oxide and at least SPF 30,” says Shah. “Sunscreen not only helps protects your skin from UVB rays that cause sunburns and skin cancers, but also UVA rays that cause wrinkles and brown spots.” Elta-MD® tinted sunscreen is moisturizing and also provides a hint of color that can easily be worked into your makeup routine.
Evening Skin Care Routine
“It is equally as important to put an evening skin care routine into practice to allow your skin to repair and restore after exposure to the sun and other environmental factors,” says Dr. Shah.
Dr. Shah uses a gentle cleanser to remove any makeup.
Next, she exfoliates her face with a glycolic acid cleanser to remove dry skin buildup.
3. Retin-A (retinol)
Dr. Shah wraps up her routine by applying Retin-A, or retinol. This helps with collagen production which promotes skin repair, evens out the skin’s texture and improves the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while you sleep.
Developing a daily skin care routine tailored for your personal skin care needs can be a bit overwhelming with such an array of products on the market unless you know the most effective ingredients to look for.
Some of Dr. Shah’s personal favorite products include:
Elta MD® Sunscreen
• Protects skin from brown spots, wrinkles and skin cancers
• Promotes the appearance of healthy-looking skin with niacinamide (vitamin B3), hyaluronic acid and lactic acid
ALASTIN Skincare® HydraTint Pro Mineral Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 36
• Light weight protection
• Hydrating ingredients and antioxidants, including green tea extract and vitamin E
• Tint evens out skin tone and gives the appearance of wearing makeup
ISDIN Flavo-C Ultraglican
• Supercharged serum sealed in glass ampules
• Helps improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles with vitamin C, proteoglicans, pre-proteoglicans and hyaluronic acid
• Leaves your skin radiant and intensely moisturized
ALASTIN Skincare® Restorative Skin Complex with TriHex Technology®
• Helps restore and maintain skin health for a vibrant, youthful appearance
• Volumizes and lifts aging skin with key ingredients in emollient formulation
• Supports skin’s natural ability to produce new, healthy elastin and collagen
• Improves the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
• Potent antioxidants help protect the skin from further damage
skinbetter science® Alto Defense Serum
• Helps maintain healthy skin barrier using 19 antioxidants, ceramides and hyaluronic acid
• Evens skin tone
• Reduces redness
ALASTIN Skincare® Renewal Retinol
• Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
• Evens out skin texture
ALASTIN Skincare® Restorative Neck Complex
• Antioxidant-based firming and tone correcting cream
• Addresses skin thinness and discoloration
skinbetter science® AlphaRet
• Potent blend of antioxidants
• Helps neutralize free radicals
• Reduces wrinkles
• Evens skin tone and texture
Mix and match these recommended products to form a skin care routine tailored to fit your skin’s needs, or talk to your dermatologist to see what types of products are best for you. Enjoy time in the sun with peace of mind that your skin is adequately protected morning, noon and night.
To learn more about Cooper Clinic Dermatology services, click here or call 972.367.6000.