Easter Brunch French Toast
View All Section Pages
- 12 slices of day-old French bread, 1½” thick
- 4 eggs (or 2 eggs + ½ cup Egg Beaters)
- 4 cups low-fat milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ Tbsp. fresh lemon peel/zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Grease two 9×13 glass pans (do not use metal). Divide bread between the pans.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, ¼ cup sugar, lemon peel/zest, vanilla and salt.
- Pour mixture evenly over bread. Let soak 5 minutes.
- Turn bread over, cover and chill for 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325◦F.
- Mix 1 Tbsp. sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over bread.
- Bake uncovered 30 to 45 minutes.
- Serve at once, with powdered sugar, fresh fruit and maple syrup.
Total fat: 4 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 109 mg
Sodium: 716 mg
Protein: 12.5 g
Cholesterol: 66 mg
Fiber: 2 g
*Nutritional Analysis uses 4 eggs and does not include toppings
Recipe provided by Kathy Duran-Thal, RDN, LD, Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services