Deliciously Rich Avocado Brownies
View All Section Pages
- 2 medium, ripe avocados, skin and pit removed (halve the avocado and scoop out with a spoon)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or cacao nibs
Tip: Swap out the chocolate chips for toppings such as nuts or seeds, dried fruit or even coconut shreds.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set aside a lightly greased 8 x 8 baking dish.
- In a food processor, add the avocado, maple syrup and sugar. Blend well.
- Next, add the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix well so all the ingredients are combined. Scrape the sides for any remnants.
- Gently add in the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa. Mix well.
- Turn off the processor and remove the blade. Stir in chocolate chips using a spoon or spatula.
- Spread the batter into the pan evenly and bake for 25-30 minutes or until done. Test the middle of the batter with a knife or toothpick to make sure nothing sticks.
- Let cool before cutting into squares. Enjoy!
- These brownies are good for up to a week in the refrigerator or a few months in the freezer.
Recipe provided by Meridan Zerner, MS, RDN, CSSD, LD, CWC, Cooper Clinic Nutrition.