Low-Calorie Sweet Pumpkin Spiced Caramel Trifle Dessert Recipe
View All Section Pages
- 1 box angel food cake mix
- 15 oz. can Libby’s Pumpkin
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice (Penzey’s brand is excellent)
- 1 cup fat-free Caramel Sauce*
- 3 cups fat-free Cool Whip or light ice cream
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Five almond cookies (Jules Destrooper)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9” x 13” pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together angel food cake mix, pumpkin, applesauce, water and pumpkin pie spice.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes (or until top springs back when touched with gentle pressure).
- Meanwhile, place almonds and almond cookies into a large Ziploc baggie and zip shut.
- Using a rolling pin or heavy pan roll until medium crumb mixture is achieved. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, portion cooked cake evenly into 24 wine glasses (¼ cup).
- This step can be done in advance and glasses refrigerated until ready to serve. Microwave caramel sauce until warm.
- Place two tsp. of warmed sauce atop the pre-portioned cake.
- Top with two Tbsp. of Cool Whip or light ice-cream.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly on top of each dessert just before serving.
Serves 24; Serving Size: 1/24 of cake
Sodium: 160 mg
Fat: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
*Caramel Sauce can be purchased or made at home following this recipe:
Caramel Sauce Directions
- Pour one 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk into nine-inch pie plate. Cover with aluminum foil; place in larger shallow pan.
- Fill larger pan with hot water.
- Bake at 425° for one hour or until thick and caramel-colored.
- Beat until smooth.
Recipe provided by Kathy Duran-Thal, RDN, LD, Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services