Tex-Mex Zesty Cheesy Taco Bake with Lean Ground Beef Recipe
View All Section Pages
- 1 lb. very lean ground beef* (98% lean, 2% fat)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and membrane removed, minced
- 1-10 3/4 oz. can of Campbell’s Healthy Choice Tomato Soup
- 1 cup of salsa**
- 1/2 cup fat free milk
- 8 medium corn tortillas cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded light sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Spray a 10-inch skillet with no-stick spray.
- Sauté onion, jalapeno and beef over medium heat until beef is well browned. Stir often to separate meat. The beef is lean so there will be no need to drain off excess fat.
- Add soup, salsa, milk, tortillas and half of the cheese. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart shallow baking dish.
- Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes or until beef mixture is hot and bubbling.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Garnish with cilantro
Nutritional Analysis (serves: 6; serving size: 1/6 of casserole)
Fat: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 49 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Carbohydrate: 31 g
Protein: 29 g
Sodium: 714 mg
* Springhill Ranch is an example of ground beef that is 98% lean and 2% fat
** Arriba Salsa is available at most grocery stores. Try using green salsa for a salsa verde version of this recipe. Farmers markets usually stock a nice supply of fresh salsas.
Recipe provided by Kathy Duran-Thal, RDN, LD, Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services