Cheesy Casserole with Herbed Lentils, Vegetables and Rice
View All Section Pages
- 2 1/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup lentils
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (divided use)
- 1/2 cup pimento, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all the ingredients except 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and pimento. Pour mixture into an ungreased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cover and bake, stirring twice, 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until lentils and rice are done.
- Uncover casserole; top with the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and pimento.
- Bake 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Analysis (per serving):
Fat: 10 g
Carbohydrates: 42.5 g
Cholesterol: 32 mg
Sodium: 423 mg
Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 30 g
Recipe provided by Kathy Duran-Thal, RDN, LD, Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services