Tomato Basil Spaghetti Squash with Gruyere
View All Section Pages
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (2½ to 3 pounds)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly grated Gruyere cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil chiffonade
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- *Cook spaghetti squash using your preferred cooking method.
- Use a large fork to scrape the flesh and scoop out the spaghetti-like strands of squash into a serving bowl.
- Toss the tomatoes and garlic gently with the squash and drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with the freshly grated cheese and garnish with fresh basil and salt and pepper, to taste.
Serving size: 4
*Roast it: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Pierce the shell several times with a knife. Place the squash cut- side up on a baking pan and roast in the oven 50-60 minutes until flesh is fork tender. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
*Microwave it: Cut squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Place squash cut sides up in a microwave dish with ¼ cup water. Cover with plastic wrap and cook on high for 10-12 minutes, depending on size of squash. Add more cooking time if necessary until flesh is fork tender. Let stand covered for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan and sauté garlic with finely chopped shallots until golden, about 3 minutes. Toss with roasted spaghetti squash.
- Roast squash and sprinkle with freshly squeezed lemon juice, small amount of butter and red pepper flakes.
- Toss roasted squash with prepared Marinara or Arrabiata Sauce.
- Heat olive oil in skillet, sauté chopped onion for 3-4 minutes, add chopped kale; stir and sauté until onions are golden and kale is partially cooked, about 5 minutes. Toss together with roasted squash, sprinkle with chili powder and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
Recipe provided by Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services.