Comforting Low-Calorie White Bean Chili with Salsa Verde
View All Section Pages
- 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced (1 cup)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup salsa verde (Arriba green salsa is excellent)
- 1-14.5 oz. can chopped fire roasted tomatoes
- 1-14 oz. can no-sodium chicken broth (about 2 cups)
- 2-15.5 oz. cans cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 3 Tbsp. scallions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped (as garnish) or use even more and stir into soup just before serving
- Add oil to a large soup pot.
- Saute onion and garlic until transparent.
- Add remaining six ingredients.
- Stir and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add scallions and cook another 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in lime juice and garnish with cilantro.
Sodium: 379 mg
Fat: 1 g
Fiber: 6 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Carbohydrates: 24 g
Protein: 7 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Tip: To make white chili with chicken, saute 1 lb. diced boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a nonstick pan. Add cooked chicken to above ingredients and simmer. You may want to purchase cooked chicken from the grocery store. Remove skin and visible fat. The white meat (breast and wing) is lower in calories and fat than dark meat (thigh and leg). You may also want to add diced red and yellow bell peppers. This will increase the yield and add more positive nutrients while cutting calories.
Recipe provided by Kathy Duran-Thal, RDN, LD, Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services