Our Green Bean Casserole Recipe Is a Low-Fat Take on Tradition
View All Section Pages
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
- 1 medium sweet onion (half diced, half thinly sliced) divided
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 3 Tbsp. dry sherry
- 1 pound frozen French-style green beans (about 4 cups)
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 Tbsp. buttermilk powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 2.5 qt. baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook, stirring often until softened and slightly translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, onion powder, 1 tsp. salt, thyme and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the mushroom juices are almost evaporated, 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Add milk and sherry and bring to a simmer, stirring often.
- Stir in green beans and return to as simmer. Cook, stirring until heated through, about one minute.
- Stir in sour cream and buttermilk powder. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Whisk the remaining 1/3 cup flour, paprika, garlic powder and the remaining 1/4 tsp. salt in a shallow dish. Add sliced onion; toss to coat.
- Heat the remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion along with any remaining flour mixture and cook, turning once or twice, until golden and crispy, 4-5 minutes.
- Spread the onion topping over the casserole.
- Bake the casserole until bubbling, about 15 minutes. Let cool for five minutes before serving.
Nutritional Analysis (Yield: 6 servings)
Fat: 10 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 10 mg
Sodium: 533 mg
Recipe provided by Kathy Duran-Thal, RDN, LD, Cooper Healthy Living