Healthy Vegetable Quinoa Pilaf with Optional Sliced Almonds
View All Section Pages
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup green onion, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 cup green pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/8 tsp. oregano
- 3 cups quinoa, cooked (basic recipe)
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté diced vegetables in olive oil until clear, yet crisp; add garlic and continue to sauté (approx. 30 sec.). Stir in oregano.
- Add sautéed vegetables to cooked, hot quinoa, mixing well.
- Dry-roast almonds in heavy skillet until lightly golden. Add almonds; salt and pepper to taste.
Tip: Quinoa pilaf served as a side dish with fish or chicken is delicious. Vary the pilaf using your favorite vegetables, or by cooking the quinoa in chicken, fish or vegetable stock instead of water.
Sodium: 307 mg
Fat: 10 g
Fiber: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 21 g
Protein: 6 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Recipe provided by Kathy Duran-Thal, RDN, Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services