Hearty Black-Eyed Pea Soup
View All Section Pages
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 slice bacon
- 3 Tbsp. jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp. liquid smoke
- 4 15-oz. cans black-eyed peas
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- Shredded light cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Spray a saucepan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add onions, garlic, bacon and jalapeño to saucepan and sauté.
- When bacon is cooked, add liquid smoke.
- Drain the juice from the canned black-eyed peas and rinse under water to minimize the sodium content.
- When the onions are transparent, add peas, chicken broth and tomatoes to the soup and simmer for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to just warm.
- Carefully ladle 2-3 cups of soup into a blender. Purée to thicken and then add back to the soup. Add more broth if desired—depending on the consistency you prefer.
- Top with shredded cheese and sour cream. Serve warm.
Fiber: 8 g
Fat: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 31 g
Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
Sugars: 7 g
Protein: 13 g
Cholesterol: 5 mg
Sodium: 200 mg
Calcium: 80 mg
Recipe provided by Kathy Duran-Thal, RDN, LD, Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services.