Low Calorie and Healthy Pozole Mexican Hominy Stew Recipe
View All Section Pages
- 8 oz. pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh garlic, minced
- 1-14.5 oz. can reduced sodium chicken broth; divided use
- 1 cup green tomato salsa (try Arriba or Hernandez brand)
- 1-14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1-15.5 oz. can yellow hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1/8 tsp. dried oregano
- Black pepper to taste
- Green onion, thin sliced (garnish)
- Cilantro, chopped (garnish)
- Spray a medium sized pot with non-stick spray.
- Brown pork for approximately four minutes or until brown.
- Remove pork from pan and set aside.
- Spray pot again with non-stick spray. Sauté onion and garlic until translucent. When mixture begins to stick, add ¼ cup chicken broth and continue to cook.
- Add remaining chicken broth, green tomato salsa, diced tomatoes, bell pepper and chili powder. Simmer for five minutes.
- Add cooked pork, hominy, oregano, and black pepper. Simmer until all flavors blend (approx 10-15 minutes). Ladle into bowls and top with green onion and cilantro.
Sodium: 339 mg
Recipe provided by Kathy Duran-Thal, RDN, LD, Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services.