Our Pronto Taco Soup Recipe is the King of Healthy Dinner Ideas
View All Section Pages
- 1 lb ground turkey (or ground round or a mix of both)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/4 cup water (if needed)
- 1 can (15 oz.) low sodium whole kernel corn, not drained
- 2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) chopped tomatoes, not drained (any type)
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) yellow hominy, not drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans with jalapeno, not drained
- 1 package reduced sodium dry taco seasoning mix
- 1 package dry Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup light sour cream (optional as garnish)
- Spray large skillet with non-stick spray. Brown turkey in skillet until done. Set turkey skillet aside.
- Spray soup pot with non stick spray. Saute onion until transparent. If onion begins to burn, add water and continue cooking until done.
- Add cooked meat and all remaining ingredients. Simmer 15-20 minutes. Stir in cilantro.
- Garnish each cup with a small dollop of light sour cream (optional).
Add 4 oz. canned chopped green chiles.
Try adding one more can of tomatoes and/or substitute meat with one more can of beans.
Substitute ground turkey for grilled chicken breast or chicken strips, diced.
If "regular" (salt added) canned beans and vegetables are used, rinse and drain vegetables and beans three times to reduce sodium up to 75 percent. Replace liquid lost from draining beans and vegetables with no-salt added V8 juice. Use only half of the dry mix packets due to their high sodium content.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving (serves 12, serving size: 1 cup):
Sodium: 650 mg
Fat: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 28 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Protein: 6 g
Cholesterol: 1 mg
Recipe provided by Kathy Duran-Thal, RDN, LD, Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services