View All Section Pages
Last Updated: July 2020
- Websites that we own and operate and associated subdomains (“Site(s)”);
- Mobile applications that we own and operate;
- The information practices of our non-profit affiliate, The Cooper Institute, including its website;
Unless expressly stated otherwise, we make our Services available to you for the purpose of providing useful information to the general public, and to you as a consumer. Our Services are not made available to you for the purpose of providing health care, or to you as a patient. While certain of our Services may offer self-help and/or educational tools and require users to register for an online account, but our Services are not intended to serve as vehicles for providing medical advice or health care. Please consult your physician regarding your specific diagnosis, treatment, diet, and health questions. If you are experiencing an urgent medical condition, immediately call 9-1-1.
In some circumstances, information we may use or disclose may also constitute Protected Health Information (“PHI”) pursuant to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”). In these circumstances, we will treat your PHI in accordance with our Notice of Privacy Practices which applies to our delivery of health care or other HIPAA-related services to patients.
1. TYPES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND USE
- Personally identifiable contact information such as your address, email, phone number, or other information you submit when communicating with us through the Services.
- Demographic information such as your name, gender, date of birth, zip code, race or ethnicity.
- Purchase information, such as items you purchase, shipping address and contact information for order details, statuses or issues.
- Payment information, such as your payment method, payment details (debit or credit card number and information) and billing address.
- Account and profile information, which may include your photo or other information included in your account or profile.
- If you choose to use certain components of our Services (which may or may not require first establishing an account with us), we may request additional information from you, such as general statements about your health. Using these components of our Services and providing additional information is strictly voluntary.
- Information you publish or submit on publically available websites, blogs, chat rooms, and social media networks.
• Information You Provide Us
When you utilize our Services, you may provide us Personal Information in various ways:
1..1. Web Forms. You may voluntarily submit Personal Information to us via web forms available on our Sites or in our Services (e.g., to request a tour, join our fitness center, to contact us with inquiries, or to apply for a job). If you do so, Personal Information such as your name, email address, mobile phone number and other additional details you choose to provide us via the web form will be sent to us so we can address your inquiry, job application, or other request.
1..2. Newsletters and Mailings. You may voluntarily submit your Personal Information, including your first name, last name and email address to receive newsletters (such as The Cooperized e-newsletter), publications and other communications regarding our Services.
1..4. Account Registration. If you are an eligible user who has completed the registration process to access a password-protected portion of the Services, or to create a profile through our Services (“Registered User”) you may be asked to provide us with Personal Information including your first name, last name, address, phone number, date of birth, email address, a unique username you’d like to go by and a password. Your provision of any Personal Information is voluntary. However, if you choose not to provide the information requested, certain aspects or elements of the Services may not be available to you. We may process your username and password (whether alone or in combination with other data to detect fraud) to enable you to log into the Service, and we process information relating to access privileges granted to you to appropriately control your access to restricted content. We process this Personal Information only as necessary to provide you our Services, as well as to further our legitimate interests of protecting our Services and the content on our Services.
1..6. Survey Responses. You may voluntarily provide us your Personal Information if you respond to surveys about our Services. Survey responses are used only to improve our Services, and to help us better understand your usage, preferences and attitudes.
1..7. General Health and Wellness Information. We ask you to provide us with certain health and wellness information, including general statements about your health so that we can provide you with certain components of our Services that you request. For example, we may collect your temperature, blood pressure, weight, current medications or resting heart rate. If you do not wish to provide us with this information, we may not be able to provide you with these Services.
1..8. Fitness Membership Program. If you participate in one of our fitness memberships or programs, we may ask you to give us the health and wellness information listed above, an emergency contact person, demographic information, and fitness data.
• Information Generated From Your Use of the Services
Certain information is generated, or collected automatically when you use our Services by means of various software tools, as described below. Alone or in combination with other information, some or all of the automatically collected information may constitute Personal Information under certain laws pertaining to data privacy.
1..2. Usage Data. We may collect information on how the Website is accessed and used (“Usage Data”). This Usage Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of the Website that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data. This information helps us improve the quality of your online shopping experiences by recognizing and delivering more of the features, services and products from previous visits by other shoppers. During the process of gathering this navigational information, non-personally identifiable information as described above may be collected (i.e., browser type, browser version, service provider and IP address).
1..5. Web Beacons. We may use web beacons and pixels, either alone or in conjunction with cookies, to compile information about your usage of our Services and interaction with communications from us. Web beacons, also known as pixels, are clear electronic images that can recognize certain types of information on your computer/device, such as cookies, when you view a particular site or email tied to the web beacon. For example, we may place web beacons in marketing emails that notify us when you open an email or click on a link in the email that directs you to our Services. We may also use web beacons to operate and improve our Services and email communications. Unlike cookies, however, web beacons and pixels are not stored on your computer/device, so even if you disable cookies on your web browser, web beacons and pixels may still load and be used as described above.
1..6. Mobile Device Data. When you use the Services on your mobile phone or other wireless telecommunications device, we may automatically gather information, like your carrier provider, a unique device identifier, the types of mobile devices and operating systems accessing the Service. We use this information to understand usage patterns, to provide you with notifications or other components of the Services, and to improve our Services and your mobile experience.
1..7. Location Information. We may collect information about your physical location when you access our Services through your mobile phone or other device to provide you with location-based services and content.
2. HOW WE USE AND DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
• How We Use and Disclose Your Personal Information
- To provide Services to you;
- To communicate with you, including responding to inquiries and sending information we believe may be of interest to you;
- To provide you with the best service and improve and grow our business;
- To analyze usage of our Services and enhance our operation of our website and other Services; and
- To detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be fraudulent or illegal.
We may also engage third party service providers to place pixels or other tracking technology on our Sites to personalize the content of, as well as to serve you ads on third party websites regarding Cooper’s Services that may be of interest to you based upon your interaction with our Sites. Some of the ads on third party websites may be personalized, meaning that they are intended to be relevant to you based on what we, or the third party service provider serving the ad, know about you or your computer's browsing activity on both the Sites and third-party websites. You may also opt-out of receiving personalized ads from our third party service providers by adjusting your browser settings to not accept cookies. Please see the “help” section of your browser for instructions on managing security preferences. To opt-out of interest-based advertising by participating companies in the following consumer choice mechanisms, please visit:
• Who We Disclose Your Personal Information To
We may disclose your Personal Information to the following third parties in order to provide you with the Services, and for the following purposes:
2. Our Trusted Business and Service Providers. We employ third party service providers to perform functions on our behalf and to assist us in providing you the Services. For example, we engage service providers to develop, host and maintain portions of our Sites, including coordinating and registering for events and activities, submitting online appointment requests, and making reservations. We also hire service providers to assist with our marketing and advertising efforts. We take commercially reasonable steps to help ensure all of our service providers protect your Personal Information, and we also require service providers to sign contracts with us to ensure they are doing so.
3. Mergers, Acquisitions or Transactions. If we sell or otherwise transfer part or the whole of our business or assets to another organization (e.g., in the course of a transaction like a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, or liquidation), any information collected through our Services, including Personal Information, may be among the items sold or transferred.
4. Law Enforcement, Government Agencies, and Courts. We may disclose Personal Information at the request of law enforcement or government agencies or in response to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process to establish, protect, or exercise our rights or to defend against a legal claim or as otherwise required or allowed by law, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of any other person. We may also disclose Personal Information to investigate or prevent a violation by you of any contractual or other relationship with us or your illegal or harmful activity.
3. PERSONAL INFORMATION TRANSFERRED TO THE UNITED STATES
4. HOW WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Do Not Track Signals. Cooper does not track users of our Services across third party websites to provide targeted advertising. Accordingly, we do not currently respond or take any action with respect to a web browser’s “do not track” signal or other mechanisms that provide consumers the ability to exercise choice regarding the collection of Personal Information about an individual consumer’s online activities over time and across third party websites or online products/ and services.
5. CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
6. YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
7. CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
If you are a California resident, additional rights with respect to your Personal Information may apply in certain circumstances. These additional rights will depend upon your specific interactions with our Services, and the types of Personal Information we have collected and disclosed about you. Please note that some of these California laws are experiencing further changes as part of the regulatory process, and we will comply with the current requirements. Please review our California Privacy Notice for more information if you are a California resident.
8. RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
9. LINKS OTHER WEBSITES AND SERVICES
We are not responsible for the practices employed by any websites or services linked to or from our Services, including the information or content contained within them. A link to a third party’s website should not be construed as an endorsement, and we are not responsible for the content or the third party’s privacy practices. We encourage you to investigate and ask questions before disclosing Personal Information to third parties.
13. HOW TO CONTACT US