Tomatillo and Avocado Salsa
View All Section Pages
- 2 jalapeno chilies (stems removed, sliced in half lengthwise;) adjust to taste
- 10 medium tomatillos (husks removed, washed well, quartered)
- 1 garlic clove (peeled)
- 1/4 small white onion
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 bunch cilantro sprigs (do not remove stems)
- 1 small avocado (peeled and seed removed)
- Place all ingredients, except cilantro and avocado, in a blender.
- Process until smooth.
- Season with salt, add cilantro and avocado and briefly blend until smooth.
- Adjust seasonings to meet your desired taste.
Yield: 1 cup | Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Total Fat: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
Sodium: 400 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 9 g
Fiber: 3.5 g
Protein: 2 g
Potassium: 400 mg
No added sugar
*Salsa can be made up to 6 hours in advance. To prevent oxidation, cover the salsa with plastic wrap and press the wrap into the surface of the salsa. Also, the salsa will stay fresh longer if avocado is added each time the salsa is served instead of all at once.
Recipe provided by Kathy Duran-Thal, RDN, LD, Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services.