Mocha Fudge Sundae Cake
View All Section Pages
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons nonfat buttermilk, divided
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder, divided
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 tesp vanilla extract, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups boiling water
- Drained, crushed, canned pineapple
- Maraschino cherries
- Sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 1/4 cup buttermilk; stir in 1 tablespoon coffee powder until dissolved.
- Stir in remaining 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk, oil and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Place a wire-mesh sieve over a large bowl; add flour, 2/3 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder, and salt to sieve.
- Stir and sift mixture into bowl.
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Combine remaining 2/3 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa, and 1 teaspoon coffee powder in a bowl; stir in boiling water until sugar dissolves.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Spoon batter on top of sauce in large spoonfuls.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until top is crisp and sauce on bottom is bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes before spooning into bowls. Serve warm with toppings, if desired.
Yield: 9 servings
- 225 calories
- 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat)
- 1 mg cholesterol
- 210 mg sodium
- 3 g protein
- 44 g carbohydrates
Recipe provided by Kathy Duran-Thal, RDN, LD from The Guilt-Free Comfort Cookbook, by Georgia Kostas, RD, MPH, with Robert A. Barnett.