Vegetarian Wheat Berry Salad with Tomato, Cucumber and Feta
View All Section Pages
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and cooled wheat berries
- 1 cup chopped plum tomato
- 3/4 cup cucumber, peeled and chopped medium
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar, or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup of crumbled Feta cheese
- Sort through wheat berries carefully, discarding any stones. Rinse well under cool running water.
- Place in a large heavy saucepan. Add four cups of water boil over high heat, then reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and rinse.
- In a large bowl toss together the wheat berries, tomatoes, cucumber, green onions and parsley.
- In a small bowl, stir together the oil, vinegar, mustard and salt. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
Sprinkle the cheese over the salad and toss again.
Serving suggestions: Serve the salad on a bed of baby spinach leaves with a piece of crusty, whole grain bread. Follow the meal with a medley of sliced fruit.
Recipe provided by Kathy Duran-Thal, RDN, LD, Cooper Clinic Nutrition Services